Saturday, January 16, 2010


This weekend has been so jam packed with awesome experiences! Last night (Friday) we went into the Old City to the Western (Wailing) Wall to welcome in Shabbot with the Jews. There were so many people there and it was so exciting! As the sun was going down I was hurriedly trying to finish writing my prayer to put into the wall and the sun was practically down and one of the patrolers came over and told me to stop writing because it was Shabbot, we also couldn't take an pictures in the plaza or close to the wall once the sun went down, no use of electric things are permitted. There are a lot of very specific rules that the Jews keep on their Sabbath, they take keeping the Sabbath day holy very literally. I was so impressed with their committment and dedication. There were children, youth, and adults alike that showed such greate reverance. Up close to the wall men and women are seperated and us girls were pretty jealous of all the guys because the boys got to sing and dance with all the Jews and Israeli soliders. The singing and dancing looked like a lot of fun, but also getting to be up close and personal with the soliders would be so awesome, I'm so jealous! So hott! Natalie and I are determined to come home with Israeli soliders...sorry mom and dad. :) but really! The wall was an amazing experience, I felt so much history and power. The very bottom layers are remanents from the retaining wall built at the time of Herod the Great. When I prayed I felt an exciting spirit, that was very "in the moment." It's hard to explain but I felt so inspired by the Jewish women and girls around me and I was in awe of their expressions of worship. This experience was greatly contrasted by my experience of this afternoon.
We went to church in the morning and I was once again so amazed by the beauty of the area I live in, this world is like none other. After church we walked to the Garden Tomb. The garden is set in an Arab neighborhood with a fairly busy road running alongside it, but surprising enough the garden was so quiet and peaceful. We saw Golgatha and then walked down a little path to the tomb. When we got there the door was closed and has a plaque hanging that says, "He is not here, for He has risen" I was filled with such great hope and excitement. He has risen!!! After walking through the tomb we gathered as a group and sang hymns for about a half hour. For those of you who know me, know that I am not the best singer in the world but, singing this afternoon was so wonderful. I have always wanted to be able to sing and share my testimony with others and I felt like I did that this afternoon, I was able to sing with vigor and enthusiasm because I know that Jesus Christ lives. It was such an amazing feeling and I am so lucky to be here and I can't wait to go back throughout the semester.
~B

No comments:

Post a Comment